Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Practically Locals!!

I can hardly believe it's been 6 weeks since we arrived in Boston, Massachusetts and 5 since moving into our first apartment in Cambridge. We're just starting to feel as if we live here now, rather than having a lovely extended vacation. It's early days yet, but we've even settled into a daily routine of sorts: Ted does his science thing on campus at M.I.T. and I do my employment-seeking, work visa sorting thing (more on that at a later date....). On the weekends, we go forth and explore different neighbourhoods around Boston and Cambridge. We even stumbled upon a Honk! festival:
















My weekdays include the employment-seeking, work visa sorting thing (again, more on that at a later date...) as well as my own exploration of our neighbourhood. This means I've made use of the post office, found my neighbourhood yarn store, a crafts store, the park, and decided on my favourite coffee shop. Nerd that I am, my happiest "local" moment was when I got my library card:

Ta-da!
Main entrance to the Public Library
An older wing of the library
-- which ironically houses the computer lab
Every now and then, we like to obnoxiously proclaim that "we're practically locals!!!". This means that in addition to having an apartment, a bank account, a credit card, real furniture, and the various insurances we need, we also have a Charlie card (transit card), a CVS card (similar to a Shoppers Drug Mart card), have found our neighbourhood diner, a few pubs/watering holes, sushi place (yes! it's true!), grocery store, wine store, pharmacy, hardware store, and waffle place -- places to which locals, not just tourists, go. Hooray! 

So, without further delay, I present you with pictorial documentation of our lives as new Cantabrigians (<-- I'm even learning new words!):
Cambridge City Hall
Cambridge Rindge and Latin School -- Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's former school
Pretty street nearby
Joan Lorentz Park

Pictures along our street

No comments:

Post a Comment