Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Life as an Intern: Project Nerd

First came the survey, then came the data analysis. Next came the development of a community-based project/initiative. What popped out at me from surveying community members was that food security and lack of income were huge, huge, pressing issues. So, I wanted to work something out to address this and I figured I would try to tackle food security. With food security comes better health and social outcomes as well as potential for income-generating activities (i.e. selling produce at market). In collaboration with a bunch of people from the community of Kyango Bigavu, Kitovu Mobile as well as Anita and Alex from FSD, we came up with a rough concept of having people in the community form small "Self-Help Groups" (SHGs). The SHG idea is a micro-finance type program based on the SILC concept and Kitovu Mobile has been forming them since 2004. The idea is that working cooperatively is way more effective than struggling alone. The groups would also be a support network for each other and Kitovu Mobile could organize various trainings around identified issues -- such as fertilization techniques, sustainable agricultural practices, and nutrition. And that's essentially the plan that I've mapped out. As part of the FSD program, part of my internship includes a seed grant that is meant to be used to purchase project items such as supplies and or labour (i.e. facilitators). So, I got to spend the last week running around negotiating prices, buying seeds and plant cuttings, and arranging for them to be delivered in the new year... after I've left.
One hardworking SHG of Kyango Bigavu
*** A tangent (of course) ...
Okay, let's take a knee for a second. Yes, I realize I know next to nothing about either finance or agriculture, so this whole project has been a challenge in a variety of fun and surprising ways. But apparently, if one is annoying enough (or, as my supervisor kindly said -- "resourceful". Heh.) and is fine with politely badgering people and peppering them with questions and asking for their help and picking people's brains and requesting as many various types of reading material that is available as well as opportunities to tag along to see things in action, then it IS possible to try to hammer out a project around ideas and concepts one knows little about. It just gets confusing at times. I guess the point is that to get anything done, one needs to be aware of which areas they are or aren't knowledgeable in. And to be okay with what it is you don't know (which, in my case, was a lot. A lot.) but also be willing to expose that so that you can do something to fill that gap. And people are often more than willing to teach others what they know or share their experiences. Oh, vulnerability. That often detestable, yet necessary aspect of life.
                                                         ... End of tangent (for now) ***

Group facilitation led by Ssemwanga Pantaleo.
While I'm still working on that blasted report (bo-oring) that is supposed to document my survey findings, I did get to start implementation of the project. Sort of. Oh, happy day! There was already one SHG formed by Cornelius within the last year and comprised solely of women, so we started with that group. Cornelius and I, along with a facilitator with much experience in group formation and dynamics named Ssemwanga Pantaleo, met with this group. Since they've already been together for nearly a year and have focused on building savings, Pantaleo was able to get right to ironing out group issues and dynamics and start creating proper group by-laws. They seemed quite excited with the whole process and I guess word spread because another group of women and a group of men expressed interest in forming their own groups and will be meeting with Cornelius next weekend! This was perfect since the target was about 3 groups of 15-20 people per group. The idea is that whatever benefits are gained by each group member will also translate into benefits gained by their families/households.
Impromptu singing and dancing to conclude a meeting.
Forming group by-laws.












So, I have no idea if the project will carry on after I've left. I certainly hope so. Kitovu Mobile seems interested in carrying it on and the project is in line with many of the projects they implement (the perk of not developing a project in isolation). I think it has the potential to be sustainable and to work but there are, as always, issues of funding and staffing that I foresee as potential barriers.

No comments:

Post a Comment