Thursday, December 8, 2011

Weraba, Masaka

What I'll miss: the sunshine and the consistently warm temperatures.

What I won't miss: the heavy rain that turns the roads into rivers of mud. Mud that gets EVERYWHERE.

What I'll miss: the friendly and helpful people who just like to chat for a bit before continuing on their way and who really DO want to make sure you get on the correct matatu so you can get home.

What I won't miss: the constant use of the smarmy "he-ey, baby/sweetie" and weekly appeals for me to have Ugandan boyfriends because "they know how to love".

What I'll miss: the availability of fresh, directly-off-the-farm pineapples, avocadoes, bananas, guavas and other produce.

What I won't miss: the matoke and posho and general lack of variety of food at mealtimes. It's not that matoke is bad. It's just bland. Oh! The joys of having been spoiled by growing up in Vancouver, with it's plethora of food choices!

What I'll miss: the convenience of hailing a boda boda and zipping around Town.

What I won't miss: playing live action frogger while trying to cross the street.

What I'll miss: the sight of gorgeous and brightly coloured bolts of fabric for sale that line the streets.

What I won't miss: the sight of large piles of garbage lining the streets -- and walking through huge, stinky clouds of smoke when the piles are being burned.

What I'll miss most: my fabulous, animated and hilarious host family.

I've had a truly great all-round experience, met some good people, and learned loads. Despite my time in Uganda coming to an end for now, I'm hoping to stay connected with Kitovu Mobile and their work from home (I've also been promised accountability reports on the project I took part in!). So, now that my time in Masaka is wrapping up, I'm getting ready for my next short adventure and a little vacation before heading back to Vancouver -- Gorilla tracking!

Thank you and see you, Masaka!

Webale ne weraba, Masaka!

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

No comments:

Post a Comment